Folding pattern in the Fars province, Zagros folded belt: case study on the Karbasi and Khaftar anticlines, interior Fars, Iran
- Department of Geology, Science and Research Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Abstract. The anticlines in Fars region, which are located in Zagros fold-thrust belt, are valuable because they possess several hydrocarbons and this area is easily recognized by the NW–SE trending parallel anticlines that verge to the SW. According to the geological classification, the study area is located in Interior Fars region. Due to increasing complication of structural geometry in Fars region and necessity to explore activities for deeper horizons especially the Paleozoic ones, the analysis of fold style elements, which is known as one of the main parts in structural studies, seems necessary. The Karbasi and Khaftar anticlines are case study anticlines in the interior Fars sub-basin (Fassa area). These anticlines have an asymmetric structure and some faults with large strike separation are observed in these structures. Due to increasing complication of structural geometry in Fars region and necessity to explore activities for deeper horizons especially the Paleozoic ones, the analysis of fold style elements, which is known as one of the main parts in structural studies, seems necessary. Description of fold geometry is important because it allows comparisons within and between folds and also allows us to recognize patterns in the occurrence and distribution of fold systems. The main aim of this paper is to determine fold style elements and folding pattern in the study area. This paper presents a part of the results of a regional study of Fars province in the Zagros Simply folded belt, based on satellite images, geological maps, and well data. In the Interior Fars area, it seems that folding pattern is controlled by structural elements such as the Nezamabad basement fault and Dashtak formation. In fact, as a middle detachment unit, Dashtak formation plays an important role regarding folding geometry and fold in style in the study area.
Z. Maleki et al.
Z. Maleki et al.
Z. Maleki et al.
23 citations as recorded by crossref.
- The Transverse Topographic Symmetry Factor of Darakeh Stream in the North Tehran, Iran E. Takieh et al. 10.4236/ojg.2015.511066
- Folding Style of the Kuh-e Siah Anticline in the Sarvestan Area, Interior Fars, Zagros, Iran Z. Maleki & F. Jahadgar 10.4236/ojg.2015.58050
- Hypsometric Properties of South Zagros Fold-Thrust Belt Basins: A Case Study in Namdan Basin in SW Iran A. Nikoonejad et al. 10.4236/ojg.2015.510062
- Assessment of Relative Active Tectonics in the Bozgoush Basin (SW of Caspian Sea) E. Eynoddin et al. 10.4236/ojms.2017.72016
- Comparison of Strain Ellipsoid Shape in the South of Ardabil Range (NW), Based on the Results of the Magnetic Susceptibility Anisotropy and Paleostress Methods R. Sadeghi et al. 10.4236/ojg.2015.59054
- Lineament Patterns and Mineralization Related to Alteration Zone by Using ASAR-ASTER Imagery in Hize Jan-Sharaf Abad Au-Ag Epithermal Mineralized Zone (East Azarbaijan—NW Iran) S. Khosroshahizadeh et al. 10.4236/ojg.2016.64021
- Determine Stress Field of the Shirband Area by Geometric and Kinematic Analysis of Faults and Folds (North Damqan, Iran) H. Roohafza et al. 10.4236/gep.2017.52006
- Geochemistry of Chromitites in Eastern Part of Neyriz Ophiolite Complex (Southern Iran) P. Attarzadeh et al. 10.4236/ojg.2017.73015
- Earthquake Hazard Zonation and Seismotectonics of the Bandar Abbas Area, Zagros, Iran S. Abdolizadeh et al. 10.4236/ojg.2016.63019
- Investigating the Impress of the Active Tectonics and the Rate of Fractures in Ilam Formation, Fars Area, SW Iran R. Poursoltani et al. 10.4236/ojg.2016.66041
- Non-Diapiric Salt Domes in the West Zanjan, Central Iran S. Alizadeh 10.4236/ojg.2017.72009
- The Analysis of Transverse Topographic Symmetry Factor (T Index) in the Chekene-Mazavand, North East Iran M. Sajadian et al. 10.4236/ojg.2015.511069
- The Emergent Salt Diapirs in the East Zagros, Iran G. Razaghian & M. Arian 10.4236/ojg.2015.510063
- Petrology and Geochemistry of Ophiolitic Host Rocks of Copper Mineralization in Dowlat Abad-Tang e Hana Area (Neyriz-Iran) P. Attarzadeh et al. 10.4236/ojg.2016.68054
- Petrophysical Evaluation and the Effect of Shale Layers on Net Pay Zone Thickness in the Marun Oil Field, Iran S. Tajali & M. Arian 10.4236/ojg.2016.68059
- Evaluation of Hydrocarbon Potential in the Jahrom Area, Interior Fars, Zagros M. Hosseinpour et al. 10.4236/ojg.2017.73029
- Active Tectonics of the Saymareh-Karkheh River Basin (Northwest of Persian Gulf, Iran) N. Rahimi et al. 10.4236/ojms.2017.72017
- Structural Style in the Khalfani Anticline, Coastal Fars, Zagros Fold-Thrust Belt A. Baghbanan et al. 10.4236/ojg.2015.59058
- Hydrocarbon Trap and Folding Style of the Pishvar Anticline, Sub-Coastal Fars, Zagros N. Hajnorouzi et al. 10.4236/ojg.2016.66033
- Evaluation of Structural Patterns and Related Alteration and Mineralization Zones by Using ASAR-ASTER Imagery in Siyahrood Area (East Azarbaijan—NW Iran) S. Khosroshahizadeh et al. 10.4236/ojg.2015.59053
- Structural Style in the Zagros Fold-Thrust Belt: The Gavbast Anticline, Coastal Fars H. Vaseghi et al. 10.4236/ojg.2016.62011
- Folding Style Analysis of the Tabnak Sweet Gas Field, Zagros, Iran M. Badrkhani et al. 10.4236/ojg.2016.68073
- Investigation of T Factor Variations along Atrak River to the Caspian Sea E. Mousavi et al. 10.4236/ojms.2017.71004